Monday, July 30, 2007

Keeping the Day on Par

This is a short one...and no photos.

Before I left, I said that I wanted to do three things while in Hawaii: I wanted to go diving (something I didn't get a chance to do back in February), I wanted to spend more time on the water (another thing we didn't get a chance to do on our previous trip), and I wanted to play some golf.

So...Saturday we did our dive (see Yes...I'm Here on Business, below), Sunday went kayaking and cliff diving (see No Resting on Sunday, below), and today we played golf.

We played at the Navy & Marine golf course near Hickham AFB. Our foursome consisted of my son, myself, my son's roommate's father Bill (a retired USAF and NWA pilot), and his Australian friend Mic (also a retired pilot). The previous evening, at a barbeque at Bill's house, we were all dancing around the issue of whether any of us was actually a decent golfer. I for one am decidely not. I'm a 30 handicap on a good day and have not played much this year. But some how, I managed to par the first two holes, got another par on the eighth hole, and was only one or two over on the other holes on the front 9. It must be the relaxed atmosphere of Hawaii. I was putting like the ball had its own GPS guidance system.

I kind of blew up on the 10th and 11th holes, so my final score of 106 was definitely in line with my 30 handicap. But what a nice feeling. As they say, it's rounds like this that keep you coming back.

And by the way, one of the perks of the military is definitely their golf courses. How else could you play a round of golf in Hawaii for $20 each?

After golf and a nice lunch at the golf course's restaurant (joined by two other pilots from my son's squadron who drove over from the nearby base), we went back to Bruce's house and took a nap. Later this evening, Bruce will drive me into Waikiki to the hotel where I speak tomorrow. Yes, after three days of nonstop fun, I finally have to go to work.

1 comment:

  1. Now that is what I call a job perk! ('And by the way, one of the perks of the military is definitely their golf courses. How else could you play a round of golf in Hawaii for $20 each?') Way to go! I've some experience with Maui golf courses and know a bargain price when I hear one! Good on you. Maui golf certainly brings out the best in us, doesn't it. Glad you enjoyed your day on one of Maui's best.

    ReplyDelete